Chichester Market Cross
Chichester, West Sussex, UK
According to the inscription upon the Chichester Market Cross, it was built by Edward Story, the bishop of Chichester from 1477 to 1503. Built so that the poor people should have somewhere to sell their goods. An earlier wooden cross had been erected on the same site by Bishop Rede (1369-1385).
The Market Cross is constructed of Caen stone, is octangular, having a strong butment at each angle, surmounted with pinnacles. On each of its faces is an entrance through a pointed arch, ornamented with crockets and a finial. Above this, on four of its sides, is a tablet, to commemorate its reparation in the reign of Charles II. Above each tablet is a dial, exhibiting the hour to each of the three principal streets; the fourth being excluded from this advantage by standing at an angle. In the centre is a large circular column, the basement of which forms a seat: into this column is inserted a number of groinings, which, spreading from the centre, form the roof beautifully moulded. The central column appears to continue through the roof, and is supported without by eight flying buttresses, which rest on the several corners of the building.
Article taken from wikipedia.
Use your mouse to move around the map of Chichester Market Cross