Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK
Work on the Eastbourne pier began on 16 April 1866 and it was opened by Lord Edward Cavendish on 13 June 1870, although it was not actually completed until two years later. On New Years Day 1877 the landward half was swept away in a storm. It was rebuilt at a higher level, creating a drop towards the end of the pier. The pier is effectively built on stilts that rest in cups on the sea-bed allowing the whole structure to move during rough weather. It is roughly 300 metres (1000 ft) long. During World War II the decking was removed and machine guns were installed in the theatre providing a useful point from where to repel any attempted enemy landings.
The pier features a camera obscura which existed in Victorian times but was restored in 2003. A number of traditional pier theatres were built over the years but after the last one was destroyed by fire in 1970 it was replaced by a nightclub and bar which remain to this day. On the landward half of the pier stands a fish and chip kiosk, an amusement arcade and a fast food outlet. Further out as well as the club there is a cafe, a restaurant, shops and fishing platform.
The tower at the end of the pier (often used as a viewing point during the annual air show) contains one of the earliest camera obscuras ever made.
In May 2009 the Listed building status of the Pier was upgraded from Grade II to Grade II*
Elements os the description taken from Wikipedia.
Use your mouse to move around the map of Eastbourne Pier
User Submitted Photos
Click on any photo to step through bigger images.