Cathedral of St Machar
Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, UK
Cathedral of St Marchar was named after a disciple of St Columba and the initial site was set up in around 580AD. In the 1130's it was named a Cathedral and underwent extensive restoration in the 13th Century under Bishop Cheyne and saw Sir William Wallace hung, drawn and quartered. His dismembered body was sent to different parts of Scotland but some say that his left arm was interred within the walls of St. Machar's.
After the war of independence construction continued under Bishop Alexander Kinnimund (1355-80) and Bishop William Elphinstone (1431-1514). The nave and towers on the west - which form the modern church were only one part. To the east of the nave, there was a crossing which had one large central tower. There was also a choir to its east and transepts pointing north and south. In 1520 a ceiling of panelled oak bearing 48 heraldic shields was commissioned by Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-1532).
It was finally complete in 1530.
Use your mouse to move around the map of Cathedral of St Machar